By James F. English
- Focuses at the fiction that has emerged because the overdue Nineteen Seventies, approximately because the begin of the Thatcher era.
- Comprises unique essays from significant scholars.
- Topics diversity from the increase and fall of the postcolonial novel to controversies over the fame author.
- The emphasis is by and large fiction scene, from bookstores and prizes to the altering economics of movie adaptation.
- Enables scholars to learn modern works of British fiction with a miles clearer experience of the place they healthy inside British cultural life.
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to Contemporary British Fiction PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
In December 1977, suffering Canadian comedian publication artist Dave Sim self-published the 1st factor of Cerebus the Aardvark, a Conan the Barbarian satire that includes a foul-tempered, sword-wielding creature trapped in a human international. Over the following 26 years, Sim, and later collaborator Gerhard, produced an epic 6,000-page picture novel, the longest-running English language comedian sequence via a unmarried inventive workforce.
This compelling research explores the inextricable hyperlinks among the Nobel laureate’s aesthetic perform and her political imaginative and prescient, via an research of the most important texts in addition to her lesser-studied works, books for kids, and newest novels. bargains provocative new insights and a refreshingly unique contribution to the scholarship of 1 of an important modern American writers Analyzes the distinguished fiction of Morrison on the subject of her serious writing concerning the strategy of studying and writing literature, the connection among readers and writers, and the cultural contributions of African-American literature good points prolonged analyses of Morrison’s lesser-known works, most up-to-date novels, and books for kids in addition to the most important texts
Enticing vital discussions approximately social clash, environmental swap, and imperialism in Africa, diversified colors of eco-friendly issues to legacies of African environmental writing, frequently missed because of severe views formed by means of dominant Western conceptions of nature and environmentalism.
In Literature and the Politics of Post-Victorian Decadence, Kristin Mahoney argues that the early 20th century used to be a interval within which the specters of the fin de siècle exercised a notable draw at the sleek cultural mind's eye and bothered emergent avant-gardistes. those authors and artists refused to assimilate to the cultured and political ethos of the period, representing themselves as an alternative as time tourists from the former century for whom twentieth-century modernity used to be either baffling and disappointing.
- The Language of War: Literature and Culture in the U.S. from the Civil War through World War II
- The Double motif in literature using the example of Stevenson's "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"
- The Consolations of Writing: Literary Strategies of Resistance from Boethius to Primo Levi
- Rewriting the Return to Africa: Voices of Francophone Caribbean Women Writers
Extra info for A Concise Companion to Contemporary British Fiction
A Concise Companion to Contemporary British Fiction by James F. English