By David Coward
- Presents a definitive historical past of the literature of France from its origins to the current day.
- Incorporates insurance of Francophone writing in Europe, Canada, the West Indies and North and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Links the improvement of literature to the mentalities and social stipulations which produced it.
- Takes us past “literature” to review photograph fiction, cinema and the bestseller.
- Maps the increase of the highbrow, and in so doing charts a development from literary doctrine to severe theory.
Read or Download A History of French Literature: From Chanson de geste to Cinema PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
In December 1977, suffering Canadian comedian publication artist Dave Sim self-published the 1st factor of Cerebus the Aardvark, a Conan the Barbarian satire that includes a foul-tempered, sword-wielding creature trapped in a human international. Over the subsequent 26 years, Sim, and later collaborator Gerhard, produced an epic 6,000-page photograph novel, the longest-running English language comedian sequence through a unmarried inventive staff.
This compelling examine explores the inextricable hyperlinks among the Nobel laureate’s aesthetic perform and her political imaginative and prescient, via an research of the foremost texts in addition to her lesser-studied works, books for kids, and most modern novels. bargains provocative new insights and a refreshingly unique contribution to the scholarship of 1 of an important modern American writers Analyzes the prestigious fiction of Morrison in terms of her severe writing in regards to the strategy of interpreting and writing literature, the connection among readers and writers, and the cultural contributions of African-American literature positive aspects prolonged analyses of Morrison’s lesser-known works, most up-to-date novels, and books for kids in addition to the major texts
Enticing very important discussions approximately social clash, environmental switch, and imperialism in Africa, varied colors of eco-friendly issues to legacies of African environmental writing, usually overlooked because of severe views formed through dominant Western conceptions of nature and environmentalism.
In Literature and the Politics of Post-Victorian Decadence, Kristin Mahoney argues that the early 20th century was once a interval during which the specters of the fin de siècle exercised a notable draw at the smooth cultural mind's eye and emergent avant-gardistes. those authors and artists refused to assimilate to the classy and political ethos of the period, representing themselves in its place as time tourists from the former century for whom twentieth-century modernity used to be either baffling and disappointing.
- In the Shadow of the Black Beast: African American Masculinity in the Harlem and Southern Renaissances (Southern Literary Studies)
- William Golding: The Unmoved Target
- Recursive Desire: Rereading Epic Tradition
- Michael Moorcock: Fiction, Fantasy and the World’s Pain (Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy)
Extra resources for A History of French Literature: From Chanson de geste to Cinema
A History of French Literature: From Chanson de geste to Cinema by David Coward